Valentines Day when you’re young means some commercially endorsed show of affection from your ‘other’ on one specific day. (Who me? Cynical? )
Now, quite a long time down the track with my own Valentine, I can think of lots of things that scream romance to me more than flowers . And the best part? You don’t really need a Valentine to make any of these things happen.
Here’s 10 things I’d prefer over flowers
1. Thai takeout bought home (without asking) after a long day at work.
2. A bottle of my favourite bubbles … or gin, just because he knows I love it.
3. A massage … not a ‘romantic’ massage. Please book me in at that place down the road, the one with the small and mercilessly strong little owner.
4. A gift voucher from my favourite cafe to help cover the cost of my caffeine habit.
5. A pedicure … bliss!
6. Something Jo Malone-y for the bathroom. Then … let me read in peace with a glass of my bubbles while chilling in my scented bath haven.
7. Movie tickets! And I get to pick the movie (if I take a plus one)… with no assurances given that I won’t drag him back to see Jane Austin Book Club again.
8. A road trip somewhere I’ve always wanted to go. Someone else drives, does all the planning and I am literally, just along for the ride.
9. Make me a Spotify playlist. I haven’t gotten around to compiling a good long playlist of favourite tunes to stream. The Smiths, Stone Roses, New Order and all my faves please – you know the ones.
10. Yum cha for weekend brunch. He hates this … but it’s one of my very favourite things to do on a leisurely weekend. Now that’s love!
Tracy is a media professional working in television. An enthusiastic explorer of the inter webs, she's held many different roles and has worked on documentary, reality and lifestyle television shows across almost two decades in the industry. Tracy also writes.